Note - we put this stuff through hell. The gear perfomed very well, except as noted.
Many thanks to KHS, MSR, Grundig, Avocet, and Pur for their gear sponsorships.
This is kind of the broad-stroke list; Alex whipped up a super-anal version of the gear list, that tells you which brand underwear to bring.
- KHS Comp Montana mountain bikes, grip shift, 24 speed
- Shimano bottom bracket
- Mavic rims
- Shimano M323 cross pedals
- Avocet cross tires w/multiple spares - sidewalls blew out
- self-sealing tubes w/multiple spares
- Blackburn racks, front "lowrider" and rear "expedition" (child-seat)
- Nashbar front and deluxe rear panniers
- bungie cords - 2 small, 1 large
- water bottles - 2 reg, 1 bomber
- underseat rack for water/fuel bottles
- cyclometer with altimeter
- replacement parts - bottom bracket, gears, chain, cables, spokes, brakes, tire patches, axels, chain oil
- tools - all tools necessary to completely rebuild bikes. Spoke wrench, freewheel remover, chain breaker, tire irons, bottom bracket tool, adjustable wrench, small vise grips, pocket knife, allen keys, duct tape, hacksaw blade, locktite, superglue
- flashing LED reflector light
- MSR XGKII shaker jet stoves and spare parts
- 22-oz MSR fuel bottles - fit in water bottle cages
- MSR 10 liter Dromodary water bags - 1 each
- non-stick frying pan, pots, fork, knife
- Polar Pure iodine water treatment
- Pur water filters - we ended up using just the Polar Pure instead
- tents, sleeping bag w/stuff sack (OR Hydroseal), sleeping pad
- concentrated liquid soap, scrubbrush
- Tupperware / garbage bags to keep stuff dry
- toothbrush, floss, toilet paper
- small towel (okay, Ford)
- 3 t-shirts
- 2 bike shorts
- 1 regular shorts
- 5 pr socks (Seal Skinz)
- SPD bike shoes with recessed cleats
- rain gear, cold weather gear (gloves, booties, tights, fleece, hat)
- small sewing kit
- cash, about $2500 for the 5 months. No one takes traveller's cheques. Bring new bills, because many people won't take worn currency.
- money belt
- credit card
- $854 plane ticket
- walkmen, tapes
- Grundig Yachtboy shortwave reciever for listening to Voice of America on lonely nights
- camera, film
- Hitachi shockproof/waterproof Hi-8 camcorder and solar panels (ask me about it.)
- diary, pen
- mini dictionary(s)
- postcards to give away
- Food - leave 1 rear pannier and more open. Garlic salt, spice packs, soup mixes, and pepper really help in some countries...
- Maps - the National Ocean Service has 1:500,000 and 1:1,000,000 maps of the entire globe. Cheap. See our faq for more info.
- Health - Medicine for
Mountaineering by James Wilkerson (a book), vaccinations, Flagil, Cipro, aspirin, bandages, sunscreen, etc.
- Passport and visas for each country, and photocopies, in waterproof bags.